The title alone indicates it’s going to be an exciting film. Plus right off the bat Chris Ridenhour http://wp.me/p2eH5w-3o gets us pumped up with the energetic powerful music. Things get going when an island near Korea is attacked by an unknown source and the outdated USS Iowa heading home makes a U-turn (that’s if ship make a U-turn) under the order of Captain Winston (Mario Van Peebles) and they head toward the island to handle the situation. The love story between Captain Winston and Lt. Caroline Bradley (Johanna Watts) is set up too and they make such a cute couple.
Okay, good everything is set up now it’s time to have fun and watch the action including but not limited to: The Navy Seals board the invisible ship, the Chinese and North Korean military threatening to attack us, coastal cities including military bases are attacked, the USS Iowa is firing blindly into the ocean, etc. etc. etc. There’s a lot going on and Captain Winston and General McKraken (Carl Weathers) have a lot to handle. BTW, Mr. Weathers still looks bad ass, especially in a General’s uniform.
After the Navy Seals expose the enemy you hope they’ll be completely obliterated and go through some pain. Especially when the USS Iowa pulls one of the Navy Seals from the water and he’s severely burnt and doesn’t make it (sorry spoiler). Excellent job Valerie http://wp.me/p2eH5w-4T I had that nasty visual in my head long after watching the movie. Valerie as the Makeup Artist and Joe Lawson being the Special Effects Supervisor http://wp.me/p2eH5w-3H is a great combo.
‘American Warships’ is a good kick back and chill out military movie and it doesn’t have a long drawn out climax where you’re like a wife looking at her watch wondering how much longer it’s going to last (in more ways than one). When you watch it, a few things besides the action and drama stood out:
- When the radio falls over the look the soldier gives is definitely an “Oh Sh_t mom’s going to kill me”.
- The Navy Seals surfing on top of the invisible ship.
- Captain Winston and Lt. Bradley have a touching romantic moment and as she leaves he asks her if she had something to report. She responds with a, oh right it almost slipped my mind, but in a short time we’re nuking two countries.
- “Let’s not blow ourselves up before the Klingons do”.
- Near the end when Captain Winston says the cavalry is coming, I swear the guy in the back sneezed, but upon rewinding he says “yes”…but in a sneezy way (is sneezy is a word?).
- I understand time is critical for keeping the film on budget, but I think the characters should get more than 1.5 seconds to take cover from setting off the C4.
- Near the very end, the nasty alien enemy totally bitch slaps Captain Winston. Watch it a few times, it actually gets funnier the more you watch it.
- For Syfy viewers only: Jaleel White casually strolls in the corner of the screen to advertise his ‘Total Blackout’ show, or to offer his help since he took out a Mega Shark and Crocosaurus http://wp.me/p2eH5w-5a