I had to watch this film again since it led to Jaleel White’s role in ‘Blackout’ http://www.theasylum.cc/blog/2012/04/one-of-the-many-reasons-jaleel-white-is-better-than-traci-lords I love the first time we see the Mega Shark. There’s no build up and she just appears out of nowhere, no doubt a rewind moment.
The story gets going when we meet Legatt (Hannah Cowley) and she’s not properly dressed for the Congo. She approaches Nigel (Gary Stretch) and she appears naïve. I was assuming that she would be the one that Nigel hooks up with later because (Clark W. Griswold voice) you see kids typically in these movies there’s a sub-plot that’s usually a love story and later in the film the man and woman will…..oh forget it the crocosaurus just munched on her. Well, hats off to the crocosaurus trainers for doing a great job. They taught it a trick I taught my dog. Put the treat on her nose and she’ll toss it up and catch it in her mouth.
Well since Legatt is out of the picture we then meet the pretty Special Agent Hutchinson (Sarah Lieving). The non-smiling Hutchinson is definitely dominant and plays the role quite well. If you want to see her smile more then check out ‘King of the Lost World’.
The film is non-stop action trying to stop the Mega Shark and Crocosaurus with the expertise of Nigel and Dr. Terry McCormick (Jaleel White). The croc lays hundreds of eggs that hatch and there’s plenty of action to stop the baby crocs. This results in lots of explosions and quality kills. I give director Chris Olen Ray and Visual Effects Artist and Digital Composer Joseph Lawson http://wp.me/p2eH5w-3H and their team a thumbs up. It’s worth watching again you may catch something new.
- McCormick freaks out when Hutchinson is seriously injured saying he’s not leaving his fiancée (McCormick’s fiancée died earlier in the film). Nigel being a friend snaps McCormick out of it and it probably would have been a good time to apologize for making rude sexual comments about McCormick’s dead finance earlier in the film.
- One guy I want to party with is the drinking guy in the corner of the bar when they were in the Congo. He toasts Nigel and Legatt when they walk out and he is either drunk for real or deserves an Oscar for his acting.
- Jean’s (Gerald Webb) WTF look to Nigel when Nigel points his gun at the young boys.
- Aircraft Carrier Tech (Erica Duke) is asked if it’s a shark or a sub and she responds “I think, I think it’s both”. Sub lifts up off the bottom of the ocean to the perfect elevation for the shark to swallow it whole.
- I’m curious about an autographed photo. Thirty two minutes in Hutchinson walks in and looks over at the photo that quickly focuses in and out on it. Anyone have a clue?
- I think the boat Nigel and McCormick use is the same one that Captain Ahab (Barry Bostwick) used in “2010” Moby Dick” when he was screaming like a mad man racing toward Moby http://wp.me/p2eH5w-26
- Unfortunately there’s no “True Blue” playing over the USS Gibson speakers.